The snow sport season is beginning to wind down as spring comes to the Rocky Mountains in Colorado’s High Country. Even though many of the resorts have closed for the season, there’s still plenty of snow to be enjoyed in Summit County and it’s definitely not too late for snow lovers to sneak in a couple of weekend trips before packing away that equipment for another year.
As a matter of fact, there are some definite benefits to making a pilgrimage to the high country late in the year:
- The air is warmer – No need to bundle up quite so heavily, and you may be able to stay out a little longer or later.
- Sunshine – Warmer weather makes relaxing on decks and patios more enjoyable with your favorite latte, coffee, hot chocolate, or an adult beverage or two.
- Crowds are starting to dissipate – Trails and slopes aren’t quite so crowded as they are during peak season.
- Cheaper – The resorts that remain open offer reduced prices for lift tickets and equipment rentals.
- Other activities – When snows are heaviest, hiking and snowshoeing can be more challenging. As the season winds down, there are abundant scenic trails for hiking, snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, and even snow cycling.
Where the Action Is
Summit County offers a wide variety of scenic areas to beckon late-season visitors. Some ski resorts, such as Arapahoe Basin, stay open for traditional skiing and snowboarding well past April.
Nordic Centers in Frisco, Breckenridge, and Keystone offer well-groomed trails for traditional cross-country and skate skiing, snowshoeing, tubing, and hiking. With miles of trails available, there’s something to delight every skill level, and most venues also offer instructions and equipment rentals.
Just minutes from Frisco’s historic Main Street, the Frisco Nordic Center is located in the popular Peninsula Recreation Area, making it a convenient destination with magnificent views of Summit County’s mountains and Lake Dillon.
Frisco Inn on Galena – Your Late-Season Base Camp
When planning your trip, the Frisco Inn on Galena in Frisco, CO is an excellent choice for the best local service, accommodations, and amenities. The Inn is centrally located for easy access to all the high country resorts, Nordic Centers, and trail adventures. Known as the “Main Street to the Rockies,” Frisco lives up to its name, chalk full of historic buildings, unique shops, plenty of dining options, and a variety of nightlife.
Frisco Inn on Galena provides many family-friendly amenities that include a game room fully equipped with foosball and pool tables, exercise bikes, and more. Every room features modern facilities including flat-screen televisions with cable HDTV, HBO, and DVD players. Free WiFi is also available throughout the Inn. We have a variety of room options to suit every traveler’s needs and taste:
- King Tower Room – This room is perfect for use as a bridal suite with special features that include a king-sized poster bed and plenty of windows to soak in the beautiful mountain scenery.
- Family Suite – Get away on your own floor with a suite that accommodates up to 7 guests with a king-sized bed and loveseat sleeper sofa in one room and two double beds in the other. There’s also a sitting room and large closet, making it your home away from home.
- King Rooms – These rooms include a king-sized bed, a window seat, and great Rocky Mountain views.
- Queen Rooms – Relax in comfort in a Queen Room with a window seat to enjoy your morning coffee or latte.
- Deluxe Patio Rooms – Frisco Inn on Galena has 3 Deluxe Patio Rooms, somewhat larger than our standard rooms. Some are equipped with king-sized beds, others with queen-sized beds. Booking these rooms enhances your stay with furnished private outdoor patios.
- Doubles Rooms – These are luxurious rooms pleasantly furnished with two double beds, and most include a window seat for amazing views of Mount Royal.
- High Country Loft – For a perfect private getaway, book the High Country Loft. Located just a couple of blocks from the Inn itself, the loft is a retreat for the whole family, and includes a kitchen area, living and dining areas, a large flat-screen television, and high-speed WiFi. The Loft also includes use of the Ten Mile Creek swimming pool, sauna, and hot tub.
Our boutique bed and breakfast staff provides the ultimate in service and attention to the needs of our guests. We will help you make any arrangements needed for transportation to nearby resorts, assist you with equipment rentals, and provide directions and reservations for local restaurants through our in-house concierge.
One of the Inn’s proudest features is our complimentary daily gourmet breakfasts, with specialties created by our on-staff executive chefs. Make time in your busy day to enjoy our afternoon happy hour that features wines, cheeses, and homemade treats sure to please.
Frisco Inn on Galena will make your late-season snow adventure relaxing, enjoyable, and memorable with our beautiful location, attention to guest satisfaction, and extraordinary service.